Virtual Fundraiser for Hawaii Foodbank
June 1, 2021
We are joining a number of Hawaii credit unions once again to raise funds for Hawaii Foodbank. The campaign begins June 1 and continues through July.
To donate through the special fundraising page, click here. When donating online, you can designate your gift toward a specific effort (such as "Help feed Hawaii's hungry," "Help feed hungry keiki") or organization (such as Maui Food Bank, Hawaii Foodbank Kauai Branch).
We aim to raise at least $2,000. In addition, APFCU will donate a matching $2,000.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to amplify the needs in our Island community:
- Food insecurity has grown by 50 percent, as nearly a quarter of a million Hawaii residents are struggling with hunger. This includes out-of-work parents, senior citizens and one in four children.
- Since the start of the COVID pandemic, the foodbank has purchased more than $13.2 million worth of emergency food. The usual pre-pandemic annual budget was $400,000.
- During 11 mass distributions, food was given to more than 40,000 households.
Our Oahu and Maui branches and Kekaha Credit Union on Kauai will also gladly accept non-perishable food donations through July. The most needed items include:
- Canned proteins such as tuna, chicken and other lean meats
- Canned meals such as soup, stew, chili and pasta
- Canned vegetables
- Fruit in cans, jars or cups
- Bags of rice, especially in 2- or 5-pound packages
Mahalo for your generosity!