Sixteen Scholarships to be Awarded this Summer
December 13, 2023
The application is now available for Aloha Pacific FCU’s 37th annual scholarships.
There are two awards programs:
- The Wallace Y. Watanabe Excellence Award, now in its second year, is a $5,000 scholarship for the most outstanding applicant. This award honors APFCU’s former president and CEO who served the credit union for more than 41 years, retiring in 2013. He passed away in September 2020.
- The Masami Oishi Memorial Scholarship program awards $2,000 each to 15 recipients. Oishi was the credit union’s first manager and retired as president and CEO in 1992. He passed away in 2003.
A volunteer panel of APFCU members judges the applicants based on:
- financial need
- academic achievement
- community service and extracurricular activities, which may include employment, sports and recreation, arts, clubs, etc.
The application is here.
In addition to the completed application, official transcripts, a one-page letter of intent and a resume are required.
The complete package must be postmarked or delivered to a branch no later than Saturday, April 20.
School transcripts must be official
Please note that scholarship awards are restricted to one award per primary member per lifetime so that we may assist as many members as possible. Awards will be sent directly to the recipients’ schools.
Eligibility requirements include:
- APFCU primary membership in good standing: at least $5 in your savings account and no loan delinquencies for at least one year prior to July 21, 2024 (joint account owners and family members who are not primary members are not eligible)
- Enrollment full time in an accredited program, such as an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree
Recipients must be available in mid to late summer for picture-taking and to pick up their awards. Pending health guidelines, recipients may be asked to submit high-resolution portraits instead.
Some restrictions apply. See scholarship application for details. Aloha Pacific Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) of Aloha Pacific Federal Credit Union.